And a couple smoothies too. I suppose “Drink!” would be more accurate. These are three of my go-to drink recipes, typically reserved for the weekend. They’re all veggie-blasted and have proved to be a delightful way to start my day, hope they are the same for you!
Lets start with the juice…I uncovered the juicer I received a while back, and have been having loads of fun with it. However, I have also gotten carried away and had to throw many a good veggie out due to my overambitious juicing. Each veggie puts adds a different (and often unexpected) proportion of flavor to the juice and I’m learning just what works where. This one is simple, reliable, and delicious. Inspired by my Nana and Grandad (avid juicers) and easy for the beginner:
Carrot-Apple-Celery-Ginger Juice (some titles give it all away…)
One large carrot. Two apples (I like green best). One Celery Stalk. One ping pong ball-sized clump of ginger.
Tada! Throw into the juicer and smile.
Now… If you’re ready to get a bit fancier, here’s a classic in the Shannon house. And in most veggie houses according to all the blogs I follow. It typically goes by “Green Monster” and it is a wonderful staple to have on hand. Easy, Peasy.
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk of choice (depending on how thick you like your smoothies)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 handful of washed spinach
- 1 heavy teaspoon of almond butter
- optional: sprinklings of flaxseed and/or chia seeds (want to load it with omega 3s?)
Toss in blender, smile at how it is mysteriously more delicious that you imagined when you threw spinach into the blender. It’s one of those things you may have to try to believe.
And now… Easily my favorited blended drink…
- 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate milk of choice*
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter (or butter of choice, I just find pb more indulgent)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 big tablespoon of soft or silken tofu (or yogurt, or more banana, but I’m a huge fan of the tofu)
- optional: chocolate shavings
toss into blender, sip, enjoy (:
Now you have a pretty good idea of how my weekends begin, because one of these is normally involved. Let me know if you have a weekend drink of choice that’s your staple!