You betcha. I came across this idea while having some boba milk tea that tasted a lot like iced coffee, then realizing I may have come up with the greatest idea ever. I headed to my local world market grocer to pick up some tapioca pearls, which apparently, you have to buy in the cinderblock-sized, vacuum-sealed, quantity. Unless you get the little pack of green tea flavored ones. So be forewarned, this is technically green tea coffee but it sufficed and was still tasty. I’d suggest looking for the regular ones though for your endeavors.
Iced Mocha Coffee Bubble Tea
Ingredients (makes two servings):
- two instant coffee packets (or the real thing if that’s your jam)
- two tablespoons of sugar or other sweetener
- two tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup of tapioca pearls
- water to boil them in
- drizzle of agave or other sweetener for the pearls (optional)
- make the coffee. heat water and add the mixture and toss it in the freezer to cool while you’re making the bobas.
- follow directions to boil the pearls. mine said to use 10 cups of water to boil 1 cup of pearls. I probably only used 5 though
- I boiled the water first and then tossed them in for about 5-8 minutes until they swelled up
- Then, take your nifty magic bullet or equivalent, and load it up with the coffee, almond milk, cocoa powder, and sugar. I had to make mine in batches because the cup filled up quickly. Also, I tossed in a handful of ice cubes to help give it a nice froth.
- I wasn’t sure how to whip the drink up, but the blender worked well and it had a great foam layer when I finally poured it out.
- Add the pearls, pour coffee overtop, and enjoy the sunny days :)
Now, I’ll throw in some life bits for those interested. Firstly, apologies for dropping off the face of the blog world for so long. I’d like to just say I was busy, and it’d be the truth, but more accurately I just hadn’t made the time. Well, most notably, I had a weekend trip to Minneapolis for the National Championships of club gymnastics. Which was a ball. The actual gymnastics part was nothing spectacularly stellar but that lasted all of maybe 5 minutes out of the entire weekend. It was a series of comically delayed flights, an unexpected blizzard and a priceless adventure through the Mall of America. And above all else, a much needed break from school. I’ve got a little bit of downtime now, but by the end of this week finals will be in full swing- so this little detour was great.
Ahh.. The rest of life? Well in case the entire world isn’t already aware, my girl Sara B has released a single, album release date, and I’m going to see her live in four days. I mean it’s whatever, no big deal. I also got to make a trip home to vb for a friends wedding, which was perfect and beautiful and a lovely occasion all together. Friends getting married, man, entering that phase of life where this stuff starts happening regularly!
In other news, I’ll have an announcement soon! Not going to blow the cover yet, but it did occur to me that I haven’t shared travel plans with this world wide blogweb really at all. And they are DEFINITELY developing quickly. Remember that post where I said that this year was going to be a year of low-key, no international travel, and just a building year? LOL. good one shannon. as if I thought I wasn’t infected with this travel bug they speak of. That said, I’ll release fun details as they become more official, but I have all but shattered those thoughts of domestic life. STAY TUNED (: